[gmx-users] NPT equilibration with small cell

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:58:48 CET 2016

Hey :)

Since pressure is so ill-defined at those volumes, you may as well run NVT
then at a more or less plausible volume. That will relieve the worry that
the deviations from the intended physics (in light of the force field
chosen) will cause the system to expand or contract out of control and you
can cherish some hope that the aberrations in the interactions sort of
balance. Of course, part of that should later be corrected by DFT geometry
optimization. As for the question which volume you need to use then, I can
only say that there is no answer. There is a distribution of possible
volumes for a small system at a given temperature. That is also true for
big systems, but there the distribution is much sharper.

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.