[gmx-users] Minimising forces for vibrational normal mode analysis

Nash, Anthony a.nash at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 29 10:14:12 CET 2016

Hi Tsjerk,

The two .mdp files are virtually identical (the only exception being what
defines one as a conjugate-gradient, and the other for normal mode
analysis):

CONJUGATE GRADIENT:
define = -DPOSRES
integrator      = cg
emtol           = 0.001
emstep          = 0.0002
nsteps          = 1000000
nstcgsteep      = 100
cutoff-scheme = verlet
nstlist         = 10
ns_type         = grid
rlist           = 1.4
coulombtype     = PME
rcoulomb        = 1.4
rvdw            = 1.4
pbc             = xyz

NORMAL MODE ANALYSIS
define = -DPOSRES
integrator = nm
emtol = 0.001
emstep = 0.0002
nsteps = 1000000
cutoff-scheme = verlet
nstlist = 10
ns_type = grid
rlist = 1.4
coulombtype = PME
rcoulomb = 1.4
rvdw = 1.4
pbc = xyz

The cg energy minimisation did NOT result in any warning about force not
converging. The result I got (I just re did it now) was:
Polak-Ribiere Conjugate Gradients converged to Fmax < 0.001 in 6994 steps
Potential Energy  = -1.73087278108256e+03
Maximum force     =  9.97199385029354e-04 on atom 72
Norm of force     =  4.63373534634654e-04

But then when I run normal mode analysis (integrator=nm) I get:
Maximum force: 6.97334e+02
The force is probably not small enough to ensure that you are at a minimum.
Be aware that negative eigenvalues may occur
when the resulting matrix is diagonalized.

My work flow:
grompp_d -f cg.mdp -c modic_en.gro -p system.top -o modic_cg
mdrun_d -deffnm modic_cg
grompp_d -f nma.mdp -c modic_cg.gro -p system.top -o modic_nma
mdrun_d -deffnm modic_nma

I sincerely hope I’m doing something wrong. That way it’ll be easier to
solve.

Many thanks
Anthony

Dr Anthony Nash