[gmx-users] Energy between desired selected molecules

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jul 1 13:59:43 CEST 2016

On 7/1/16 7:55 AM, Faezeh Pousaneh wrote:
> Thank you Mark, I see. But what is the solution then? The way you proposed
>
> ''You can make a new .tpr file with those
> energy groups and use mdrun -rerun on the old trajectory, however.''
>
>  is not my answer, since I do not want the energy for a ''group'' of
> molecules, rather for specified combination of few molecules I define from
> g_select.

The only function available is to define energygrps in the .mdp file, supply an
index file with those groups (e.g. from g_select) and do as Mark says and
re-calculate those interaction energies with mdrun -rerun on the existing
trajectory.  The short-range nonbonded interaction energies between those groups
will be written to their own terms in a new .edr file.

-Justin

> Best regards
>

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The .edr file contains only what was written during the simulation, and
>> that was for any energy groups defined before that run. You're trying to
>> ask it to make an arbitrary repartition, which it can't do unless it
>> recorded every component of the energy for every frame (which would take
>> forever and use lots of disk). You can make a new .tpr file with those
>> energy groups and use mdrun -rerun on the old trajectory, however.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 9:41 AM Faezeh Pousaneh <fpoosaneh at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Does someone know how to obtain energy between specific molecules in the
>>> system?
>>>
>>> What I did and seems not be correct is:
>>> 1- I obtained the molecules I wanted to look at:
>>> g_select_mpi -f 600gro.gro -s production.tpr -on
>>>
>>> 2- Then I produced a .tpr file for the chosen selection,index.ndx,
>>> tpbconv -s production.tpr -n index.ndx -o tpxout.tpr
>>>
>>> 3- Finally put the created .tpr file as an input for g_energy
>>> g_energy -f ener.edr -s tpxout.tpr  (either, g_energy -s tpxout.tpr)
>>>
>>> But that is not the solution, since it gives energy for whole system.
>>> Best regards
>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> posting!