[gmx-users] binding free energy

Billy Williams-Noonan billy.williams-noonan at monash.edu
Thu Jul 7 22:54:31 CEST 2016

Hi Justin,

The free ligand is the ligand in a box of solvent, and the complex is the
complex in a box of solvent.  The complex would need to exist for the
duration of each of your lambda windows for this method to be reliable, and
the system would need to be in equilibrium as well...  Have you considered
steered MD?

I would imagine that you will need pull code constraints holding your amino
acid in place as the VDW and coulomb lambdas get close to 1.  However if
you are performing a relative FEP calculation, you can probably avoid using
restraints depending on whether State B still interacts with the ionic
surface.

You also may or may not find that you will need more coulomb lambdas
depending on how long each window is being simulated for.

You don't need a temperature lambda setting as you are not perturbing the
temperature, I don't think?  Mass lambdas are unnecessary because you
should not be perturbing the mass either in an absolute FEP run.  They are
still unnecessary in a relative run since the mass contributions should
cancel in a closed thermodynamic cycle.  If you are perturbing dihedral
angles though, maybe consider using the FEP-lambdas setting.

Hope you've been going well! :)

Also, this would be my approach.  I know absolute and relative FEP methods
work well for ligands binding to proteins, but I have no experience with
the exact situation that you're describing.

Good luck!

Billy