[gmx-users] periodic boundary conditions

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 10:24:02 CEST 2016

Hi,

These are different systems. Your 6-around-1 setup (whether itself
hexagonally periodic or not) has degrees of freedom that the single
hexagonal cell cannot access. In the latter case, if a wall on one edge of
the cell deforms, then the corresponding wall on the far side of the cell
has the matching deformation. However the 6-around-1 can e.g. deform each
wall of the central hexagonal cell independently. Whether any of these make
a "correct" model depends what you're trying to model.

Mark