[gmx-users] [pairs] vs [exclusions]

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 17:25:11 CEST 2016

Hi,

Maybe I missed the point earlier, but as e.g. 5.4.4 Exclusions section of
PDF reference manual says:

"Extra exclusions within a molecule can be added manually in a [ exclusions
] section. Each
line should start with one atom index, followed by one or more atom
indices. All *non-bonded*
interactions between the first atom and the other atoms will be excluded."

Non-bonded interactions don't exist until after you've measured the
distance between the particles and found that they're within the cutoff.
Adding an exclusion (howsoever generated) says "look, it doesn't matter,
these particles don't have a non-bonded interaction ever."

The preceding section talks about *intramolecular* [pairs], which are
organized as one of the kinds of bonded interaction. Those just get
computed - whatever [exclusions] says doesn't matter.

If so, then you can show that it works that way by taking a molecule (e.g.
capped alanine) where nrexcl is low enough that the automatic generation of
bond-based exclusions doesn't apply for some pair of atoms, and computing a
potential energy. Add an [exclusions] between two atoms to observe that the
nonbonded energy changes. Then add [pairs] as well on the same atoms, to
show the total energy restored, but now in a different component.

Mark