[gmx-users] [pairs] vs [exclusions]

Peter Kroon p.c.kroon at rug.nl
Wed Jul 13 16:04:00 CEST 2016

Hi Xavier (and list),

I think that's a good way of rephrasing my question ;)
Anyway, I made a mock system with just 2 particles (included below).
gmx dump'ing the two tprs (with and without exclusions) I can't tell the
difference, apart from the number of exclusions generated:

>>> diff dump_no_excl dump_with_excl
1c1
< no_excl.tpr:
---
> with_excl.tpr:
12c12
<    ld-seed                        = 4213247321
---
>    ld-seed                        = 2241521802
221,223c221,223
<          nra=2
<          excls[0][0..0]={0}
<          excls[1][1..1]={1}
---
>          nra=4
>          excls[0][0..1]={0, 1}
>          excls[1][2..3]={0, 1}

I ran this mock-system with a simple energy minimization. Since the
pairs directive gives both particles an identical charge I expect them
to drift apart if pairs > exclusions.
And indeed this is what vmd shows, so it seems that exclusions only work
on "normal" LJ (and coulomb?) interactions, and not specific pairwise
interactions.
I'm hoping someone with intimate gromacs knowledge can still
confirm/deny this though, I'd rather not dig through the code.

And my mock-topology:
[ moleculetype ]
blab 0

[ atoms ]