[gmx-users] Harmonic restraint in FEP

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 13 22:30:29 CEST 2016

On 7/13/16 3:52 PM, Alexander Alexander wrote:
> Dear Gromacs user,
>
> To avoid conformational changes of a single amino acid while it is
> perturbed (vdW and q --> 0) in Free energy calculation, I need to apply a
> harmonic restraints on(or between?) some of it's atoms by [
> distance_restraints ] and "restraint-lambdas".
>
> First of all, is this right? I means " "restraint-lambdas" can be used for [
> distance_restraints ]?

No.  You can only modulate dihedral restraints and the pull code (which is what
you should be using anyway):

http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/5.1.2/user-guide/mdp-options.html#free-energy-calculations

> If so, how can I find out proper "low, up1, up2 and fac" for a molecule?
>
> One more question is that what the "restraint-lambdas" should be look like
> when harmonic restraints is going to be applied(turning on gradually) by
> whatever method?
>

> restraint-lambdas   = 1.0 0.8 0.6 0.4 0.2 0.0
> OR
> restraint-lambdas   = 0.0 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1.0

See available options in
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/5.1.2/user-guide/mdp-options.html#com-pulling

The A-state is 0 and the B-state is 1.  The behavior of restraint-lambdas
depends on how you choose/need to set up the restraints themselves.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore