[gmx-users] number of water molecule

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jul 15 22:27:10 CEST 2016

On 7/15/16 3:11 PM, Alexander Alexander wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
>
> The first layer of water molecules are in the within of 0.5 nm on top of
> the solid surface(Other), and I try to  count the number of water
> molecule(SOL) in this region as you suggested by gmx select, I used below
> command but it gives me the total number of SOL molecules existing in the
> whole box!
>
> gmx select 'Close to Other' resname SOL and within 0.5 of group "Other"  -f
> prd.gro -n input/index.ndx -os size.xvg

This will give you the total number of atoms in the selection.  Select by the
oxygen atom name to count the number of waters.

Even more simply, you can define a coordinate value for the selection instead.
If the surface is in the x-y plane, select any water O atom with z < (0.5 +
surface_z_value).

-Justin

> Available static index groups:
> .
> .
> Group 16 "Other" (4096 atoms)
> .
> .
> Group 21 "SOL" (8688 atoms)
> .
> .
>
> Would you please let me know where I am doing wrong?
> Thanks,
> Alex
>

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 7/15/16 10:19 AM, Alexander Alexander wrote:
>>
>>> Dear gromacs user,
>>>
>>> Just suppose a single amino acid is adsorbing to a solid surface in
>>> aqueous
>>> solutions. I was wondering how I can find out the number of water
>>> molecules(immediate to the surface) that are washed away by amino acid in
>>> such an adsorption?
>>>

>> Count the number of waters in the first solvation layer using, e.g. gmx
>> select.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.