[gmx-users] hbond hydroxyl oxygen, both acceptor and donor?

Jeremy T First jeremy_first at utexas.edu
Mon Jul 18 22:27:34 CEST 2016

Hello,

I am attempting to quantify the amount of hydrogen bonding environment a
certain residue experiences during the course of a simulation. To do this,
I am using gmx hbond to plot the number of hydrogen bonds between the
solvent (water) and the hydroxyl oxygen of the residue as a function of
simulation time.

According to the help information for gmx hbond, hydroxyl oxygens are
classified as hydrogen bond donors. When I select this oxygen and the Water
group in gmx hbond, gromacs finds one less donor than acceptor, leading me
to believe that the hydroxyl oxygen is classified only as a donor, and not
also as an acceptor.

Many frames of my simulation show the hydroxyl oxygen (as calculated by
VMD) donating and accepting a hydrogen bond, but gmx hbond only reports 1
hydrogen bond for the frame.

Is there any reason that a hydroxyl oxygen can not simultaneously donate
and accept a hydrogen bond? If not, is there a way to let gromacs allow the
hydroxyl oxygen to be an acceptor as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy First
Webb Research Group
University of Texas at Austin