[gmx-users] hbond hydroxyl oxygen, both acceptor and donor?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 18 22:31:13 CEST 2016

On 7/18/16 4:27 PM, Jeremy T First wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to quantify the amount of hydrogen bonding environment a
> certain residue experiences during the course of a simulation. To do this,
> I am using gmx hbond to plot the number of hydrogen bonds between the
> solvent (water) and the hydroxyl oxygen of the residue as a function of
> simulation time.
>
> According to the help information for gmx hbond, hydroxyl oxygens are
> classified as hydrogen bond donors. When I select this oxygen and the Water
> group in gmx hbond, gromacs finds one less donor than acceptor, leading me
> to believe that the hydroxyl oxygen is classified only as a donor, and not
> also as an acceptor.
>
> Many frames of my simulation show the hydroxyl oxygen (as calculated by
> VMD) donating and accepting a hydrogen bond, but gmx hbond only reports 1
> hydrogen bond for the frame.
>
> Is there any reason that a hydroxyl oxygen can not simultaneously donate
> and accept a hydrogen bond? If not, is there a way to let gromacs allow the
> hydroxyl oxygen to be an acceptor as well?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can't use just the oxygen atom; the analysis group must contain both O and H
to be considered a donor.  If you're just selecting an O and the entire water
group, the O in the hydroxyl can only be considered an acceptor.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore