[gmx-users] Domain decomposition

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 26 20:25:38 CEST 2016

On 7/26/16 2:21 PM, Alexander Alexander wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

>>> Actually I always have had "couple-intramol = no" in all my other
>>> calculation(a single amino acid in water solution), and not problem has
>>> shown up. But FEP calculations of the charged amino acid where I have also
>>> an Ion for neutralization of the system and "ion+amino acid" is used as
>>> "couple-moltype", this problem emerges. And if you noticed the Ion here CL
>>> is always one of the atom involving in the problem. I hope
>>> "couple-intramol
>>> = yes"can sove the problem in charged amino acid.
>>>

>> Well, there are implications for the results.  Consider what it says in
>> the manual.  But yes, this is your problem.  You've got physically separate
>> molecules that you call one [moleculetype] for the purpose of
>> transformation, and you're running into a problem that isn't really
>> physically meaningful in any way.
>>

> Actually yes, Ion and amino acid both as  [moleculetype]are really far away
> from each other. But I usually use the final .gro file of the last step as
> input file in the new step, and this separation is what that gro file has.
> I hope " couple-intramol = yes"  can help.

Help you in terms of avoiding a DD failure, yes, but you're also completely
changing the physical picture.  Please read the manual carefully about these
settings.  You'll probably get distortion if you do this.  Using
"couple-intramol = no" is more sensible but obviously is causing headaches due
simply to implementation problems.

>>> I want to make sure sudden conformational changes of amino acid do not
>>> occur during the perturbation. In particular, when the charge is turned
>>> off.  Applying a harmonic restraint to keep the geometry the same during
>>> FEP is a well-established procedure, e.g. Deng, Y.; Roux, B. J Chem Theory
>>> Comput 2006, 2 (5), 1255. I might reduce the number of restraints to only
>>> between 1 or 2 pairs.
>>>

>> Preserving the A-state in the bonded topology (and using couple-intramol =
>> no) will prevent any weirdness from happening without needing any of these
>> restraints.  As in my previous message, restraining CA-HA with a harmonic
>> potential makes no sense at all.  Those atoms have a bond between them.
>> The pull code is not doing anything useful.
>>

> Then, If the " couple-intramol = yes" hopefully solves the problem
> discussed above, then, maybe applying restrain in the presence of "
> couple-intramol = yes" is not avoidable.
>

>> The whole task is to calculate the binding free energy of amino acid to a
>>> metal surface, although here I am still dealing with the amino acid in
>>> only
>>> water without surface yet.
>>>

>> I believe I've mentioned this before, but in case it got lost along the
>> way - using the free energy decoupling technique is a very ineffective way
>> of calculating this binding free energy.  Do a PMF.  It's extremely
>> straightforward and you don't deal with any of these algorithmic problems.
>> It will also likely converge a lot faster than try to do complex decoupling.
>>

> Actually I should have known this in beginning, but, now is a bit late for
> me to switch to PMF.

As you like.  You can probably finish a PMF in less than a day for a reasonably
small system.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629