[gmx-users] Very high energies after energy minimization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 27 22:19:02 CEST 2016

On 7/27/16 3:41 PM, Deep Bhattacharya wrote:
> Hello Evan,
>
> I am using the SPC solvent model.
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>    1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif
>
> Posre.itp from pdb2gmx for the protein
> ; In this topology include file, you will find position restraint
> ; entries for all the heavy atoms in your original pdb file.
> ; This means that all the protons which were added by pdb2gmx are
> ; not restrained.
>
> [ position_restraints ]
> ; atom  type      fx      fy      fz
>      1     1  1000  1000  1000
>      5     1  1000  1000  1000
>      6     1  1000  1000  1000
>      7     1  1000  1000  1000
>      8     1  1000  1000  1000
>      9     1  1000  1000  1000
>     10     1  1000  1000  1000
> Cut out the initial part, remains constant throughout the same.
>
> Please suggest what changes can I do.

mdrun tells you that an absurd force is acting on atom 1553.  Open up the
structure in your favorite visualization software and start looking there.
Beyond that, follow
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up#Diagnosing_an_Unstable_System

Try minimizing the protein alone, the ligand alone, etc. until you spot where
the problem comes from.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy