[gmx-users] Radial Distribution Function of DPPC Bilayer

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jul 30 02:04:37 CEST 2016

On 7/29/16 6:44 PM, Nidhin Thomas wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I have simulated a DPPC bilayer using charmm-gui.org. I ran the simulation
> for about 180 nano seconds. I had used the mdp files which were provided by
> charmm-gui (used vdw force-switch cut-off range as 10-12 A).
>
> I have to find out the radial distribution of Phosphorus-Phosphorus (P-P)
> pairs. Therefore, I created the index files for phosphorus atoms of DPPC
> lipids in each leaflet and used following command to obtain radial
> distribution function.
>
> gmx_mpi rdf -f DPPC.xtc -s DPPC.tpr -n PN-index.ndx -o P-P_rdf.xvg -b
> 120000 -e 180000 -bin 0.05
>
> I chose all phosphorus atoms of one leaflet as both ‘ref’ and ‘sel’.
>
> Is this the correct command to obtain the radial distribution function of
> P-P pairs?
>
> I obtained a radial distribution plot, which I have uploaded in the
> following link. I compared the same with the paper: doi:
> 10.1016/S0006-3495(03)75094-2
> <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016%2FS0006-3495(03)75094-2>. But the force field
> and other parameters were different for this paper. I was hoping for a
> similar plot but the peak value of my plot seem very different. I also
> simulated a DPPC bilayer using GROMOS96 53a6 force filed for 180 ns. The
> three dimensional radial distribution for this system is also provided in
> the figure.
>
> I have also uploaded the part of log files. Could anyone please let me know
> what am I doing wrong in selecting the parameters?
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hz0ryxeyptf74la/AAD-OKUwauoWO84mlE5_lycha?dl=0

You're using a different force field and you're getting a different result.
There's nothing wrong here.

You may want to use -xy in your calculations to get the in-plane RDF, but that
won't have a large effect on the outcome.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore