[gmx-users] Distance restraint and pull code

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 2 01:38:21 CEST 2016

On 6/1/16 5:16 AM, HongTham wrote:
> Hi,
> Im now applying 4 pull codes to keep the Zn coordination. the script is
> like below.
> ; Pull code
> pull = umbrella
> pull-ngroups = 5
> pull-ncoords = 4
> pull-group1-name = ZN
> pull-group2-name = a_3862
> pull-group3-name = a_1354
> pull-group4-name = a_1390
> pull-group5-name = a_1721
> pull-geometry = distance ; simple distance increase
> pull-coord1-groups = 1 2
> pull-coord2-groups = 1 3
> pull-coord3-groups = 1 4
> pull-coord4-groups = 1 5
> pull-dim = Y Y Y
> pull-coord1-rate = -0.005 ; not pull, just distance restraint at a
> reference distance bw 2 groups
> pull-coord2-rate = 0.0 ; not pull, just distance restraint at a reference
> distance bw 2 groups
> pull-coord3-rate = 0.0 ; not pull, just distance restraint at a reference
> distance bw 2 groups
> pull-coord4-rate = 0.0 ; not pull, just distance restraint at a reference
> distance bw 2 groups
> pull-coord1-k = 1000 ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
> pull-coord2-k = 1000 ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
> pull-coord3-k = 1000 ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
> pull-coord4-k = 1000 ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
> pull-start = yes ; define initial COM distance > 0
>
> Because the ligand is quite big, so in the initial structure, the distance
> between ZN and ligand is quite big (~ 0.5 nm). my target is to keep the
> distance between Zn and other atom is about 0.2 nm. with The
> pull-coord1-rate=-0.005 nm,  i want to quickly pull the ligand to come
> close to Zn. and run NPT which protein backbone restrainted in 1 ns. after
> NPT, now the distance between Zn and ligand is close enough, I will remove
> the pull-rate in the md.mdp.
> the question is, how can I keep the current ZN coordination in MD which a
> specified distance?

A zero pull rate in conjunction with an appropriately specified restraint distance.

> I added one more option about the referece distance like below. is it right
> for my intention? because the defaut value is 0.0 (at t=0), and I didnt
> specity these value when I run NPT ( the above script), and I thought
> Gromacs assigned the distance from the input structure as the reference
> distance instead of 0. so I am really confused about this option.
> pull-coord1-init= 0.21 ;
> pull-coord2-init= 0.21 ;
> pull-coord3-init= 0.21 ;
> pull-coord4-init= 0.20 ;

pull-start = yes means "use whatever the distances in the coordinate file are."
pull-coord*-init = X means "use this value because I'm telling you to."

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore