[gmx-users] distance between two groups

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 8 02:35:23 CEST 2016

On 6/7/16 8:12 PM, Qasim Pars wrote:
> Dear gmx users,
>
> How can I calculate the distance between the central of mass of two groups
> ( for example: ligand and protein)? As far as I understand gmx mindist does
> not do it.

This is what gmx distance does.  The exact syntax is given in an example on
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Tool_Changes_for_5.0#g_dist

> And is that possible to calculate the distance per residue as a function of
> time? I would like to calculate the distance between ligand and each
> residue as a function of time.

Invoke a series of calls to gmx distance with appropriate index groups.
Otherwise, to get the time-average, you can use gmx mdmat, but that will be an
average minimum distance, not an average COM distance.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore