[gmx-users] PCA problems

jkrieger at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk jkrieger at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 17:33:28 CEST 2016

Thanks Tsjerk,

Isn't the progressive fit supposed to rotate everything back into the same
orientation without having to worry about inferring that orientation from
a reference structure that doesn't align well? Each configuration should
in theory align well to its predecessor all the way back to the starting
structure (which is what I'd usually take as a reference anyway).

The original note I was thinking of says as follows:

'''Before a PCA, all structures should be superimposed onto a common
reference
structure. This can be problematic for very flexible systems such as
peptides,
where the fit may be ambiguous, leading to artificial structural
transitions. In
certain cases, such problems may be alleviated by using a progressive fit,
where
each structure is superimposed onto the previous one. It is also important
to note
that when results of different PCAs are to be compared with each other, then
each individual PCA should be based on the same reference structure used for
superposition.'''

Please could you explain further what it is I have misunderstood.

Also would you say a progressive fit is a bad idea for more structured
proteins?

Many thanks
James