[gmx-users] PCA problems

Antonio Baptista baptista at itqb.unl.pt
Wed Jun 8 20:54:34 CEST 2016

Hi James,

If your molecule shows some flexiblility, I would suggest using as a
reference the structure of your original ensemble that produces the fitted
ensemble with the lowest sum of RMSD values to that structure (or their
square). That usually gives a fitted ensemble that more closely retains
the original RMSD values between all pairs of structures.

If your molecule is well-structured, it wouldn't make much difference
which reference you use, as Tsjerk said.

Best,
Antonio

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016, jkrieger at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk wrote:

> ok thanks Tsjerk. I think that makes sense now.
>
> Best wishes
> James
>
>> Hi James,
>>
>> That's silly! Ambiguous means that the same structure can have multiple
>> solutions in a fit. The fit to a single reference structure (with more
>> than
>> three atoms) is never ambiguous. Can never, by definition!
>>
>> Now if you have two reference structures at hand, and they have (quite)
>> different structures, then fitting on one may give a different ensemble
>> from fitting on the other. The fit is not consistent, and the
>> inconsistency
>> is worse for flexible molecules. Different ensembles will mean different
>> correlations, thus giving different principal components.
>>
>> Progressive fitting does not solve the problem. In fact, progressive
>> fitting _is_ ambiguous. Let's say we have a series of conformations ABCAC.
>> Then we  fit C once to B, which was fitted to A, and later we have C
>> fitted
>> to A, which was fitted to the previous C. Note that in practice the
>> situation will be much worse as we can approach a certain configuration
>> from many sides. Using B as reference will yield a fit that is different
>> from using A as reference, so the structure C will have two different
>> orientations in the resulting ensemble. Hence, the fit is ambiguous.
>>
>> For structured proteins, the difference will not matter much. However, in
>> long trajectories there may be an added contribution (drift) of the
>> orientation.
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Tsjerk
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM, <jkrieger at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Tsjerk,
>>>
>>> Isn't the progressive fit supposed to rotate everything back into the
>>> same
>>> orientation without having to worry about inferring that orientation
>>> from
>>> a reference structure that doesn't align well? Each configuration should
>>> in theory align well to its predecessor all the way back to the starting
>>> structure (which is what I'd usually take as a reference anyway).
>>>
>>> The original note I was thinking of says as follows:
>>>
>>> '''Before a PCA, all structures should be superimposed onto a common
>>> reference
>>> structure. This can be problematic for very flexible systems such as