[gmx-users] making topology file manually

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 9 01:22:29 CEST 2016

On 6/8/16 10:49 AM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
> Thanks Justin,
>
> This is why I have got confused then, as each force field treats them in a
> different way.
>
> Knowing the details of force field seems necessary then. As another
> solution to this:
>
> Can we just make the topology file using some web servers or software (ATB,
> SwissParam, Antechamber, PRODRG, ...) and trust the output and continue
> with?
>
> By "trust" I literally mean to:
> 1) not be worry about the assigned lines (atom types, as well as bonds,
> angels, dihedrals, impropers, and pairs between these atom types) in the
> topology file as recognised by the above mentioned tools
> AND
> 2) check for the correct numbers of assigned lines based on information in
> force field files (ffbonded, ffnonbonded) and of course validating the
> simulation results

Never trust a black box.  Antechamber is generally a pretty robust program for
AMBER.  I can't speak to the accuracy of SwissParam, but I've heard it's pretty
good.  I prefer CGenFF for CHARMM topology generation because it gives you an
explicit parameter penalty score to alert you to parameters that may require
more work.  ATB is generally good but often requires minor revision.  PRODRG
always requires a complete overhaul of the charges (at minimum).

Always validate.  Go back to the original force field literature and carry out
whatever types of small-molecule validation were done in the parent force field.
  Otherwise, you're playing a pretty costly game of numerical roulette.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore