[gmx-users] Calculating avergae structure from the simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 9 01:24:15 CEST 2016

On 6/8/16 5:21 PM, Agnivo Gosai wrote:
> Dear Users
>
> I had run an unrestrained 50 ns simulation of a protein-ligand complex
> using GROMACS to check the stability of the force field used and compare
> with previous literaure.
>
> Then I dumped the strucuture from the last frame of the 50 ns simulation
> and used it for pulling and umbrella sampling simulations.
>
> Now, the reviewer is asking me this "Reference structure should have been
> the average structure, not the final state seen at the end of 50 ns MD run.
> "
>
> Is there any tool in GROMACS by which I can calculate the average structure
> ?? I was thinking that this is a normal procedure to conduct the
> simulations.But now I am confused. Kindly comment.

The final structure may or may not be representative of the simulation.  What if
your protein twitched in some way in that last frame that is totally unique to
the trajectory?  Maybe it is representative, maybe it's not.

You can calculate an average structure, but it may not be physically meaningful
(see http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Average_Structure), but
you'd be better off clustering the conformations, determining the largest
cluster, and if that cluster is sufficiently representative of the overall
ensemble, use the central member (lowest RMSD with respect to the other cluster
members) as your representative snapshot.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore