[gmx-users] Distance restraint and pull code

Hong Tham hongtham0709 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 17:21:15 CEST 2016

hi Justin,
in the manual, the [distance restraint] will add flat-bottom harmonic potential to keep distance between 2 atoms. The low, up1, up2 is corresponds to ro, r1, r2 in the equation 4.83 (manual 5.0.7).
I understand if rij < r low,   up1 <rij > up2, mdrun will add the harmonic potential, if rij > up2 , the linear potential will be added. no potential is added if low < rij < r up1.
However, because the pull code will add harmonic potential, I did think the distance restraint should do the same thing ( harmonic restraint instead of flat-bottom harmonic restraint). I am compare between 2 way in maintaining the zn coordination. Therefore, I did set the r low = r up1, r up 2 very big. I intend to let mdrun recognize if rij < r low = r up1 or rij > r up2, the harmonic potential will be added. I expect that the distance rij between 2 atoms can not reach that high r up2. and I think, after modifying, the 4.83 equation will look like 4.31 (harmonic potential).
even, if i run genrestr to generate the distance restraint itp which is later included in the topology file, it return the [distance restraint] with low = up1, the disre-up2 is the up2 value.
As your reply, that mean I can not do like that? Gromacs can not recognize that, and it will do the way as you mentioned? I don’t want that, actually. So, If I want to apply distance restraint, just simply use flat-bottom potential?
Sorry if I did ask like that, I’m still studying to understand more about Gromacs and how it works. and sometime, I may misunderstand. :D
Thanks so much ^^
HT