[gmx-users] Decreased Area/Lipid for Lipid Bilayer from CHARMM-GUI

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 14 01:37:08 CEST 2016

On 6/13/16 7:27 PM, Nidhin Thomas wrote:
> Hello Dr. Neale,
>
> Thank you for the quick response.
>
> I running a new DPPC-POPA mixed bilayer system with 0.15 M KCl concentration now. But I have observed similar decrease in area per lipid half way through the equilibration. The are a per lipid decreases from 63 A^2 to 59.9A^2 during first NPT step.

Are you modeling the exact composition of a known bilayer that has reliable
experimental values?

> I have also modeled a pure DPPC bilayer with 36 lipids in a leaflet. This model also has a similar problem of reduced area per lipid.

How much does it reduce, and how long is your simulation?

> I have been reading research papers and came across this paper:
>
> S. Jo, J.B. Lim, J.B. Klauda, and W. Im (2009)
> CHARMM-GUI Membrane Builder for Mixed Bilayers and Its Application to Yeast Membranes. Biophys. J. 97:50-58 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bpj.2009.04.013>
>
> It mentions that we have to perform either NPAT or NP(g)T with a small surface tension for small lipid bilayer systems.

That information pre-dates the current version of the force field, which is
CHARMM36.  Special tricks were needed under CHARMM27, but this is no longer the
case with the modern force field for lipid bilayers.  Be sure to read the
pertinent publications about the force field and CHARMM-GUI itself.

dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp101759q
dx.doi.org/10.1021/jz200167q
dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jctc.5b00935

-Justin

> As mentioned earlier, in my system, I never used surface tension values. If I provide a non-zero surface tension value, would it change the properties of the system compared to systems simulated using other forces fields?
>
> Thanks a lot for the help!
>
> Nidhin Thomas
>

> Message: 4
>> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 17:51:43 +0000
>> From: Christopher Neale <chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca>
>> To: "gromacs.org_gmx-users at maillist.sys.kth.se"
>> 	<gromacs.org_gmx-users at maillist.sys.kth.se>, "gmx-users at gromacs.org"
>> 	<gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Decreased Area Per Lipid for Lipid Bilayer
>> 	obtained	from CHARMM-GUI

>> In future posts, it is best to copy and paste your .mdp file because we can not all get attachments from the list.
>>
>> Regarding your results, it is my understanding that the CHARMM-GUI has parameters for, and can build, many lipids systems whose parameters have not been completely validated by simulations in the literature (e.g. for things like APL). Last time I looked, PG was the only anionic charmm36 lipid that was shown to behave properly in bilayers (Klauda), though others may have since been shown to work well.
>>
>> If the issue is not simply that the PA parameters are not very good, then one likely source of problem is that perhaps you are not using the NBfix ions? That could be a big deal. I never use Na with membranes for this reason, so you could try KCl instead.
>>
>> Chris.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629