[gmx-users] interfacing with Gaussian 09

Groenhof, Gerrit ggroenh at gwdg.de
Tue Jun 14 08:22:50 CEST 2016

Hi,

>From the gromacs side it seems to work fine. That the GMX_QM_MODIFIED_LINKS_DIR needs to be set is that gromacs still expect them, but when you use the script it does not need them.

If you inspect the script you'll see that it does nothing more than copy the input file created by gromacs into a temp.com, run gaussian with that file and extracts from the default temp.log file the energy and gradients on both QM and MM atoms into a fort.7 file, which gromacs reads in to add these informations to the force and energy arrays.

>From the stderr messages tells you that you have made modifications in the script that are faulty at line 18:

/fslhome/crk9/gromacs//gau: line 18: export: `/fslhome/crk9/gromacs/': not a valid identifier

my guess is you're mixing csh and bash languange. note that the gau script is a bash script

Best,

Gerrit

Gerrit,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am using GROMACS 5.1.2.

After reading through your message, I realized that I was using GAUSS_DIR
and GAUSS_EXE for the location and name of the gau script instead of
GMX_QM_GAUSS_DIR and GMX_QM_GAUSS_EXE. So I changed that, and then I got
the error message from line 227 of qm_gaussian.c : "no
$GMX_QM_MODIFIED_LINKS_DIR, this is were the modified links reside."

I thought that one could use the gau script successfully without modifying
any Gaussian links.

I decided to try setting the GMX_QM_MODIFIED_LINKS_DIR environmental
variable to an empty folder. I am attaching the resulting output (as links
at the end of this message); both what was sent to stdout as well as the
gmx generated log file.

Looking through qm_gaussian.c, as well as the output I have so far, it
appears that modified Gaussian links *are* required for gmx to interface
with Gaussian.

So, the bottom line is that in order for Gromacs to interface with Gaussian
to perform a quantum molecular dynamics computation, I must have access to
the Gaussian source code. Is that correct?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-W4G39j_Icjc21TcTN1S2M0MVk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-W4G39j_IcjZlVPb1NySkUtRDQ/view?usp=sharing

(Please let me know if the links above don't work.)

Thanks for your help

--
Clinton King
Graduate Student