[gmx-users] Lipid parameterization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 14 19:56:34 CEST 2016

On 6/14/16 1:53 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I am trying to parameterize a lipid molecule with a weird headgroup :-) in
> Charmm36 force field for doing simulation in GROMACS.
> Reading through literature, I found that Swissparam, and Paramchem.org are
> two useful tools to make the topology files automatically.
>
> However, both seems to be suitable for small drug-like molecules than large
> biological molecules, like lipids. Swissparam is a mixture of charmm
> parameters and MMFF and is not based on any specific CHARMM FF version.
> Paramcharm has also recommended to not use it for biological molecules.
>
> Although lipids are biological molecules, but I was wondering what will
> happen if we consider the "whole synthetic lipid" as a drug-like molecule.
>

> In this case, we might be able to mix it with other lipids which have been
> parameterized in Charmm36?

You should start by using any relevant parameters from the CHARMM36 lipid force
field, then parametrizing new moieties to be consistent with the lipid force
field using suitable model compounds.  CGenFF might give OK estimates of initial
charges, dihedrals, etc. but they should absolutely not be directly combined or
considered final.  They'll point you in the right direction, but hybridizing
CGenFF and highly optimized protein/nucleic acid/lipid force fields within the
same molecule is not a proper approach.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629