[gmx-users] PMF steadily increasing

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 15 19:01:23 CEST 2016

(1) Are the protein and peptide really never interacting at d=7 nm? I presume you've got a peptide that would be maybe 5 nm long when fully extended, and your dG minimum is at 1.5 nm, so giving half the peptide length that would imply possible contact at 4 nm, so I expect 7 nm is sufficient, but gmx mindist can tell you for certain. For example, if the protein forms an overhanging pocket around the binding site, then it is quite possible that an unfolded peptide would be sometimes (even rarely) contacting a 568 residue protein even at a COM-COM distance of 7 nm.

(2) net charge positive on one and negative on the other?

(3) unconverged? Did you try eliminating the first half of your production sampling and see if this fixes the issue?

(4) did you do wham properly? Your mdp file indicate that your windows are not *exactly* at 0.1 and 0.2 nm increments (use of pull_coord1_start=yes), which is fine but only as long as wham doesn't think your windows are exactly at these increments.

There may be some entropy change as the peptide becomes unbound and can then sample full X and Y, but on its own that should not continue to impact the sampling after contact is permanently broken.