[gmx-users] Lipid parameterization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 15 19:09:36 CEST 2016

On 6/15/16 12:27 PM, Christopher Neale wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> thank you for the clarification. I wonder, however, how "highly optimized"
> are all of the charmm36 lipid parameters for headgroups other than PC and PE?
> The JPCB 2010 paper doesn't mention PG, PS, or PA headgroups at all (as far
> as I could tell), and Klauda's Mol Sim. 2015 paper "Molecular dynamics
> simulations of palmitoyloleoylphosphatidylglycerol bilayers" cites the 2010
> paper as the source of the PG headgroup parameters. As far as I can tell, it
> was only in 2015 that we learned that the Charmm36 PG parameters are any good
> and the book is still out on PS and PA.
>
> It's not a pedantic question, since the difference between "core charmm36" PA
> and paramchem PA might not be as large as one would assume, depending on how
> the core charmm36 PA lipids were parameterized.

This is probably a better question to ask Jeff Klauda.  I don't know offhand.
One could easily compare PA from ParamChem with PA from CHARMM36 and try it.  I
phrased my answer specifically for two reasons:

(1) One should *not* try to merge part of a molecule that was created with
CGenFF and part that is taken directly from C36.  The force fields are
compatible, yes, but CGenFF has that all-important word "general" in its name,
therefore parameters obtained are generalized based on a collection of molecules
with shared features.  Therefore, a given dihedral will have compromise
parameters that are derived from fitting based on multiple molecules.  For a
system like a lipid, with highly coupled rotations, this *could* lead to really
bad behavior.

(2) Again related to generality, when I say "highly optimized," I refer solely
to the concept of deriving lipid parameters for lipids.  It's actually rather
difficult to get alkyl properties right, so some generic alkyl dihedral taken
from butane is not necessarily valid for dodecane.  So "highly optimized" does
not imply that I'm saying "these parameters are right no matter what," rather
that the parametrization protocol accounts for different hings.

-Justin