[gmx-users] Total Charge on Guanine molecule by OPLS AA force field is negative

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 17 12:06:27 CEST 2016

On 6/17/16 4:42 AM, Anurag Dobhal wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I want to simulate Guanine ( a nitrogenous base) molecules in water using
> OPLS AA force field.
>
> I used the "opls aa"  parameters from atomtypes.atp ((JACS,113,2810(1991)).
> on calculating the total charge of one molecule it comes to a negative
> value.

The .atp file has no charges.  The charges found in ffnonbonded.itp also mean
nothing.

> dose it means that guanine has negative charge ?

Not as just the base.  The nucleotide form is of course anionic.

> should I continue with thae same  parameters or change them to bring the
> total charge of the molecule to zero.

You should be sure you have a proper model with a reliable source of parameters.
  Stripping the base out of a nucleotide also requires the introduction of an H
to fill the valence at the glycosidic linkage.  Charges may differ as a result
of such a change.

-Justin

> Thank You for your help
>

> *Anurag Dobhal*
> *Graduate Student (Bioprocess Technology)*
> *Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai*

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore