[gmx-users] Total Charge on Guanine molecule by OPLS AA force field is negative

Anurag Dobhal anurag.dobhal at nano-medicine.co.in
Fri Jun 17 13:47:06 CEST 2016

Thank You

*Anurag Dobhal*
*Graduate Student (Bioprocess Technology)*
*Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai*
*Contact: +91 8898486877*

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 6/17/16 6:26 AM, Anurag Dobhal wrote:
>
>> Dear Justin,
>>
>> I have already added the H to the guanine molecule striped from the
>> nucleotide.
>> The charges given in the ffnonbonded.itp for all the atoms of guanine
>> (Including the H on N9) do not add to zero.
>>

> As I said, those charges mean nothing.  You should find force field
> parameters specifically for the base from published literature or from
> another force field.  AMBER and CHARMM are much better choices than OPLS-AA
> for nucleic acids and their components, anyway.  CHARMM has a topology for
> all bases as part of the stock force field.
>
> -Justin
>

>> *Anurag Dobhal*
>> *Graduate Student (Bioprocess Technology)*
>> *Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai*
>> *Contact: +91 8898486877*
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 6/17/16 4:42 AM, Anurag Dobhal wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Gromacs users,

>>> The .atp file has no charges.  The charges found in ffnonbonded.itp also
>>> mean nothing.
>>>
>>> dose it means that guanine has negative charge ?
>>>

>>> Not as just the base.  The nucleotide form is of course anionic.
>>>
>>> should I continue with thae same  parameters or change them to bring the

>>> parameters.  Stripping the base out of a nucleotide also requires the
>>> introduction of an H to fill the valence at the glycosidic linkage.
>>> Charges may differ as a result of such a change.
>>>
>>> -Justin
>>>
>>> Thank You for your help

>>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>>> Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
>>>
>>> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
>>> School of Pharmacy
>>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>>> 20 Penn St.
>>> Baltimore, MD 21201
>>>
>>> jalemkul at outerbanks.umaryland.edu | (410) 706-7441
>>> http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~jalemkul

>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>
> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
> School of Pharmacy
> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
> University of Maryland, Baltimore
> 20 Penn St.
> Baltimore, MD 21201

> * Please search the archive at
> posting!

> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

*DISCLAIMER:*

*This communication is intended only for the person or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and / or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use is prohibited. If you
have received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this
material from your computer. Any comments or statements made herein do not
necessarily reflect those of Nanomedicine Research Group.  Before opening
the email or accessing any attachments, please check and scan for virus.*