[gmx-users] Dielectric Constant

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:58:49 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 5:22 PM Life Sciences Inc <
contact.lifesciences.inc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am getting the value of Epsilon from the output of gmx dipoles as
> approximately close to 60, in my mdp file I used the default parameters for
> epsilon-r (1) and for epsilon-rf(0), the output as below

These are totally different things - the resulting epsilon of your whole
simulation system, vs the effective dielectric of your model physics that
produces the simulation.

Clearly you haven't read the .mdp descriptions

> Select a group: 12
> Selected 12: 'Water'
> There are 4531 molecules in the selection
> Last frame      50000 time 100000.000
> Average volume over run is 149.579
>
> Dipole moment (Debye)
>  ---------------------
> Average  =   2.2740  Std. Dev. =   0.0001  Error =   0.0000
>
> The following averages for the complete trajectory have been calculated:
>
> Total < M_x > = 3.03347 Debye
> Total < M_y > = -12.361 Debye
> Total < M_z > = -19.1034 Debye
>
> Total < M_x^2 > = 28871.2 Debye^2
> Total < M_y^2 > = 29326.8 Debye^2
> Total < M_z^2 > = 29241.6 Debye^2
>
> Total < |M|^2 > = 87439.6 Debye^2
> Total |< M >|^2 = 526.935 Debye^2
>
> < |M|^2 > - |< M >|^2 = 86912.7 Debye^2
>
> Finite system Kirkwood g factor G_k = 3.7096
>
> Infinite system Kirkwood g factor g_k = 2.49376
>
> Epsilon = 59.7615
>

> But I want to calculate the dielectric constant with the imaginary surface
> around my system or it can also be said as with PBC boundaries, for which
> there is an option in gromacs for mdp file which is epsilon-surface(0), but
> whenever I am using this option with other than default value with
> epsilon-r = 1 or epsilon-rf = 0 or epsilon-r = 1 or epsilon-rf = 1,  I am
> getting LINCs error. For electrostatistics I am using PME.

Hmm, if you'd done what I already asked and checked the .mdp documentation,
then you'd know that varying epsilon-rf is useless with PME.
epsilon-surface could well be buggy (since it is not automatically tested),
but AFAICR it doesn't affect the forces, so your LINCS errors must have
some other origin - eg whatever ad hoc changes you are making to your model
physics.

> As I have used
> SPC water model I tried to use the value of epsilon-surface = 70, and also
> used 60 so that these values may correct the lincs error.

Why are those sensible values? Have you read the .mdp documentation for
what this means?

Mark