[gmx-users] Block averaging

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 22 15:39:57 CEST 2016

On 6/22/16 5:02 AM, sun wrote:
> Hello users and experts I have completed a 200 ns protein ligand simulation
> using GROMOS 43a1 and Gromacs v 5.0. I expected to observe a conformational
> change in protein in the presence of ligand and the results are as expected
> and correlates to previous references as well. So, shall i believe that
> simulation is converged or there is need to do block averaging over time
> intervals? If block averaging is required, the parameters like RMSD and
> propensities for secondary structure are sufficient to conclude that
> simulation is converged? Or could anyone please tell me a suitable procedure
> for making blocks and how to average those. With Regards Suniba

Just because a simulation produces expected results does not mean it is
converged.  You must show that any quantities of interest from which you draw
your conclusions, are not systematically varying with time.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore