[gmx-users] Gromacs 5.1 build for windows 8. Cygwin compatibility with CUDA/GPU acceleration.

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:44:58 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 3:16 PM <timothy.dubbs at louisville.edu> wrote:

> I have spend the past week trying to figure out how to compile GROMACS for
> windows. I spend a lot of time on the web and everyone pointed to the use
> of cygwin for building in windows.

Unless you can find "CUDA supports cygwin" on the internet, then you're
starting something that can't succeed.

I was pursuing the email list and found a thread which brought up my issue
> with enabling GPU acceleration. The thread name was Re: cygwin_mpi_gmx
> installation April 2013.  Anyway, the thread mentions that there are some
> issues of compatibility with CUDA and Cygwin but the wasn't any clear
> conclusions made.  My question is that since this thread was posted has a
> solution to the issue been determined.

I can't tell, since you didn't share a link, but probably it's never
worked. Use the CUDA-supported compiler on Windows, ie MSVC.

Mark