[gmx-users] GPU acceleration

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jun 27 15:25:19 CEST 2016

On 6/27/16 9:12 AM, יוכבד wrote:
> here's a link to the log file
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0KVsEJPLGjOU1oaGxzcjNBS28/view?usp=sharing
>
> The  computer is 4GPUs and 32 CPUs but some GPUs were in use hence only
> 15-16 were used.

That's not what

gmx mdrun -v -deffnm nvt_New -nb gpu

will do.  That command will attempt to use all resources available on the
machine, all 32 CPU and all 4 GPU.  The .log file confirms this is the case.  If
you're running multiple processes on the same machine, you need to appropriately
define what should be used for each run, using -pin, -pinoffset, -gpu_id, -nt,
-ntmpi, etc as needed, otherwise they're all going to try to use everything, and
end up fighting each other, slowing everything down.

-Justin

> Thanks
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 6/27/16 8:49 AM, יוכבד wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I've recently installed GROMACS 5.1.2.
>>> I ran the benchmarks files of rnase (rnase_dodec_vsites) on my machine
>>> using 4GPUs and 32 CPU and I got the performances of ~330ns/day
>>>
>>> Now I'm tring to run my system but I don't see any acceleration (a 500ps
>>> nvt equilibration takes close to 2hr (6.7ns/day)- This was using 4 GPUs
>>> and
>>> 15 CPUs.
>>>
>>> What am I missing here?
>>>
>>> attached is my mdp file and the command used was
>>>

>> The list does not accept attachments.  The .log files are the most
>> informative as the end contains a full performance breakdown; if you wish
>> to share them, upload them to a file sharing service and provide a URL.
>>
>> The actual performance depends largely on the content/size of the system.
>> Perhaps you have a bottleneck due to the size of the system such that you
>> cannot efficiently utilize all 4 GPU and 15 CPUs (an odd combination,
>> anyway) simultaneously.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.