[gmx-users] charge assign acetaminophen

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 29 12:09:01 CEST 2016

On 6/29/16 3:54 AM, elham tazikeh wrote:
> Dear GMX users;
> would you please help me about assigning the charges of my ligand
> (acetaminophen) for entrance to simulation
> i'd like to use the groups in aminoacids.rtp file in my force field
> (gromos53a6) but i don't know how extract my charges

This begins with an understanding of how the force field works and what
literature has been published on it to date.  Unfortunately, GROMOS96 is highly
empirical, with few (if any) details of QM charge calculations available in the
published literature.  Initial guess charges historically come from DFT to match
the ESP of a given molecule, and then are empirically refined against
condensed-phase properties.  The subsequent adjustment is indeed highly
empirical and somewhat frustrating if you don't have experience and solid
chemical intuition.  But overall, as with most additive force fields, you can
piece together the molecule from building blocks (in this case, a carboxylate,
phenyl ring, and N-methyl acetamide).  But the problem is in validating that
topology; you need some target data to confirm that the approach was right.
You'll likely also need to do some dihedral refinement on the N-methyl acetamide
linkage to the phenyl ring since AFAIK no analog exists in the force field and
those torsions will be rather rigid due to conjugation.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore