[gmx-users] Tesla K80 vs GeForce GTX 980-repost

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:55:02 CEST 2016

Hi,

Get Geforce unless you have a very good reason to need/want Tesla
(double prec. or amount memory for other codes is the only thing I can
think of).

The GROMACS kernels on the 980Ti will be approx 1.5x faster per GPU
than the K80 per chip (i.e. haf the K80 board) and you'll get faster
transfers too (more PCI lanes used); in other words, 2x 980Ti will
easily be faster than a K80 board and it will save you a lot of money.

But why not get 1070s instead?

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Nikhil Maroli <scinikhil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Looking for the best configuration with the processor 2 x Intel® Xeon®
> E5-2670 v3 (2.3 GHz, 30 MB cache, 12 cores))
>
> we have two option
>
> 1. Tesla K80
>
> 2. 3 x GeForce GTX 980ti (Three cards connect with SLI Bridge and achieving
> good speed which equivalent to K80 )
>

> I have found 3 (GTX 980ti )cards cheaper and giving little faster than
> Tesla K80

Only a little faster? Something must be off!

>,Since its Consumer Card most of the supplier asking me to
> reconsider it ...

Don't worry about that. For the price of a single K80 you can get a
few backup GPUs just in case and you'll still have money left ;)

BTW, make sure you get a well cooled server, though!

Cheers,
--
Szilárd