[gmx-users] [gmx-developers] GTX 680 non detected on OS X

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon May 30 20:20:15 CEST 2016

 On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Uliano Guerrini <uliano.guerrini at unimi.it

--
Szilárd

> Actually I don’t know how to do it. The right command should be otool -L,
> from the man page of otool:
>
> -L
>      Display the names and version numbers of  the  shared  libraries
>               that  the  object file uses, as well as the shared library
> ID if
>               the file is a shared library.

To be honest, I don't know OS X very well either, so I can't comment much
more.

> but using it on the deviceQuery binary (from cuda samples)
>
> uliano at MacPro:~/samples$ otool -L ./bin/x86_64/darwin/release/deviceQuery
> ./bin/x86_64/darwin/release/deviceQuery:
>
> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
> (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 1258.1.0)
>         /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 120.1.0)
>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 1226.10.1)
>
> doesn’t report libcudart that is instead loaded at runtime as shown in my
> previous mail sent on May 27 at 9:25

The output you pasted into that email clearly shows that libcudart is
*statically* linked, so it's normal that it does not show up in the otool
output (you can list the symbols in your binary with some OS X tool similar
to nm if you want to verify).

I have *no Idea* of the mechanism that is able to load libcudart without
> having it listed by otool -L

The mechanism is called binary loader (if you linked statically) ;)

--
Szilárd