[gmx-users] Simulate protein at subzero condition in aqueous buffer

João Henriques joao.m.a.henriques at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:24:43 CEST 2017

Hello,

"spc216.gro" is not a water model, it's just a pre-equilibrated simulation
box (300 K and 1 bar) with the coordinates of 216 3-site water molecules.
SPC and TIP3P are two examples of 3-site water models. Water model
properties are well studied and tabled (e.g.
http://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.1862245).

I am no expert in pure water simulations, but I doubt 3-site water models
can reproduce ice in a realistic way. Will the force field even hold at
that temperature? I really don't understand why you'd want to try something
like this. However, and to finish, there's one thing I can tell you for
sure: your system will be much more "stable" at -40ºC. Why, because it will
barely move from it's initial conformation, due to the very low thermal
energy. In sum, you'll spend computational time sampling almost nothing.

Best regards,
João