[gmx-users] PDB2GMX Fatal Error

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 1 12:15:06 CET 2017

On 3/1/17 3:23 AM, Syed Azeem wrote:

>> Use -ignh in pdb2gmx.
> Hi Reza,
>
> I tried -ignh, it's working fine.
>
> But i need to calculate H-bonds after docking the same peptide. Then
> the same error will crop up and I won't be able to calculate H-bonds.

The use of -ignh has nothing to do with whether or not you can calculate
hydrogen bonds.

The more complete explanation about -ignh is that H atoms in the input
coordinates are ignored, then rebuilt according to the force field's .hdb file.
Your problem was that your H atom nomenclature was non-standard, or at least did
not conform to the force field's expectations, so you got a fatal error.  You
can easily confirm in the topology and coordinates produced when using -ignh
that in fact all of the H you need are there.  pdb2gmx just rebuilt them so you
didn't have to waste time renaming all your non-conforming H atoms.

-Justin

>>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 10:22, Syed Azeem <syedazeemullah186 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I tried passing a predicted peptide (16-mer) into GMX and ended up
>>> with a fatal error regarding hydrogen. I tried ignoring the hydrogens
>>> using -ignh command. But I'll need to calculate H-bonds for the next
>>> analysis, as I'll dock this peptide into a target protein.
>>>
>>> Fatal error:
>>> Atom HB3 in residue ASN 1 was not found in rtp entry NASN with 16 atoms
>>> while sorting atoms.
>>>
>>> For a hydrogen, this can be a different protonation state, or it
>>> might have had a different number in the PDB file and was rebuilt
>>> (it might for instance have been H3, and we only expected H1 & H2).
>>> Note that hydrogens might have been added to the entry for the
>>> N-terminus.
>>> Remove this hydrogen or choose a different protonation state to solve it.
>>> Option -ignh will ignore all hydrogens in the input.
>>>
>>> How to solve this issue?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Azeem

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences