[gmx-users] Velocity as a function of distance Z

Kamps, M. m.kamps at student.rug.nl
Fri Mar 3 11:49:48 CET 2017

(previous mail was sent prematurely, my apologies)

Dear Mark,

Again, thanks for the reply.

You said I should identify groups of molecules that are to my
interest. I'm unsure how to do this.
My .gro files show no distinction between different molecules, all of
them are built the same (rows deleted for clarification).

    1EthB    C1 5963  18.910   0.037   2.874  0.4243  0.6722 -0.0361
    1EthB   H11 5964  18.969   0.099   2.810  1.4488  0.2545  0.0251
    5Eth    H21 5992  18.287   0.495   3.423  0.1969  0.2998  0.4129
    5Eth    H22 5993  18.291   0.508   3.251  0.7485 -2.7065  0.0733
   10EthE   H22 6023  17.188   0.735   3.427 -0.4008 -2.3617  0.5620
   10EthE   H23 6024  17.153   0.699   3.263  2.2014  0.6628 -1.8300

What should I enter to select individual molecules? There are no
columns or names that are unique to a single molecule?
In the 'Selection syntax and usage' document there are tons of
options, however I find it difficult to know which one to use, and how
to use them.
The distinctions that I can make are in their residue
(EthB-(Eth)n-EthE), which will select all atoms in these groups,
instead of whole molecules. I could also make a selection based on
their position, however that would mean not entire molecules are
taken. When i say for example resname EthB EthE Eth and x>5 and x<7,
all atoms inside this margin will be taken, however this would mean it
will select partial/split/cut molecules, since parts of the molecule
will be outside of this frame. When looking at the earlier mentioned
document, I see for example the 'chain' option. But I can't figure out
how to use this.

My residue groups are defined via residuetypes.dat to be:
Eth    Polymer
EthB    Polymer
EthE    Polymer
While in my topology they are called simply:
C20H42
C16H34
Is this helpful to make a molecule selection?

Mark