[gmx-users] Dihedral PCA documentation

Matthias Ernst matthias.ernst at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Mar 3 17:41:42 CET 2017

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to add a few points to this discussion
as I am doing my PhD in the group where dPCA was developed.
I hope these will clarify a little bit what's done in the tutorial and
why (took me a while to figure it out).
Obviously, it would be worth to rewrite my comments in a slightly more
concise form, maybe with examples, and make them available to the
community on some suitable platform. I will see if I find the time.
@Mark: which form should such a suggestion for an improved How-To have
and where could I submit it and how?

As an introduction and following up on what Mark said, I want to point
out that you do not need any GROMACS tool for doing a PCA, but you *can*
use them in a way that somewhat "misuses" trr and gro files.
The way it's done in the tutorial means that the covariance matrix,
eigenvectors and the PCs are stored in the trr files - but beware: the
trr format was meant for storing trajectory data, not PCA data. That's
why Mark called it a "hack" and that's why we need the "resized.gro", as
explained later.
In our group, we do a lot of PCA and usually just work on plain ASCII
data files as input and output files.
But there is not (yet) a black-box programm where you just plug in a
trajectory and in the end get nice results - you should know what's
going on under the hood, as only then you can interpret the PCA results
properly and judge if they make sense.

What you need for actually performing a PCA are
1) the data you want to perform the PCA on. This could be an MD
trajectory (in case there is *really* a good reason to use cartesian
coordinates, internal coordinates are more advisable), but as well an
ASCII file where you saved all the angles or distances or whatever
coordinates you want to use. Personally, I like the MDAnalysis Python
library as it easily allows to monitor e.g. a few angles or distances or
whatever quantity seems a good idea to try as input for a PCA.
You may also kick out irrelevant observables to speed up things and
reduce noise.
2) a tool to calculate the covariance matrix of your data, diagonalize
it and project the data on the eigenvectors, i.e. calculate the PCs.
In this step, it might be a good idea to save some files, namely the
statistics of the data, covariance matrix, eigenvectors and -values and
of course the PCs which is a LxD file with L lines (observations) for
the L frames you had in the trajectory and D variables (observables)
that your input file had. Note: if you started with an ASCII file, it
also had dimensions LxD (PCA is just a rotation of your coordinates).
3) analysis tools to create whatever plots you like. Usually, we use 1D
and 2D histograms as well as autocorrelation decays.

For step 2, I can recommend a tool written by a colleague of mine called
fastCPA that you can find at http://lettis.github.io/FastPCA

Now, I would like to quote a post I did some time ago at
https://www.researchgate.net/post/Can_anyone_help_me_with_doubts_regarding_dihedral_PCA:

-----------
dPCA was developed in the group where I'm working now and I have to say
that the way it is described in the GROMACS howto
(http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Dihedral_PCA) feels like a
dirty hack. It works, though, if you do it correctly. The trick is that
you first do the sin- and cos-transformation of the dihedrals, save them
to a kind of "dummy" trajectory, create a kind of "dummy" structure just
to get the right number of coordinates and then evaluate it using the
standard GROMACS tools.

Let me briefly summarize what the tutorial tells you to do (I refer to
their numbering) and what is actually meant:
A) choose the dihedral angles you need (1. in tutorial, given by 4 atoms
per dihedral) and do the sin- and cos-transformation. This is then saved
as a new GROMACS trajectory (called dangle.trr in the tutorial). BUT,
the values are saved in triples of variables as the trajectory was
initially intended for cartesian coordinates, meaning there can be
"empty" coordinates which are 0.0 always if the number of coordinates
you use is not divisable by 3.
B) create a dummy index file which just tells g_covar how many atoms you
need for storing all values you have. Step 3 says you need to put
integer(2*N/3) atoms in the index file. This means: you have N dihedrals
and doing the sin- and cos-transformation, you get 2*N coordinates. They
are stored in triples of 3 as mentioned above, so you need M=2*N/3 atoms
but you need to round up (indicated by the "integer") to make sure you
don't drop one or two coordinates. That's why in the example you need to
count up to 4 in the index file (10 coordinates after transformation
meaning 3,33 atoms => round up to 4)
C) Create also a dummy gro file which also contains M atoms. This can
contain any values whatsoever, it just has to be a .gro file with the
correct number of atoms. Step 4 in the tutorial does this.
D) To actually perform the PCA, you need to diagonalize the covariance
matrix of your coordinates. This is done by g_covar in step 5. You need
to provide your dummy gro and index files as well as some options to
tell the tool not to do fitting, mass weighting or whatever, which is
why there are so many flags. If something goes wrong here, I would
assume that there is an error in the files you had to create in the
steps before.
E) To evaluate your PCA, you can plot one- or two-dimensional
projections of the data onto the eigenvectors of the covariance matrix
(the so-called principal components). This is done in steps 6 to 8.
--------

Best Regards,
Matthias

http://phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1896