[gmx-users] Meaning of columns in .xvg output file

Kamps, M. m.kamps at student.rug.nl
Tue Mar 7 10:43:07 CET 2017

Dear Justin,

Thank you for you reply. The header of my .xvg file is:

# This file was created Mon Mar  6 14:32:28 2017
# Created by:
#                       :-) GROMACS - gmx traj, 2016.1 (-:
#
# Executable:   /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx
# Data prefix:  /usr/local/gromacs
# Working dir:  /local/Data/Nozzle/19./4.MD Acceleration
# Command line:
#   gmx traj -f md_acc.trr -s md_acc.tpr -b 7.5 -e 8.5 -n 1.ndx -av plot1.xvg
# gmx traj is part of G R O M A C S:
#
# GROtesk MACabre and Sinister
#
@    title "average velocity"
@    xaxis  label "Atom"
@    yaxis  label ""
@TYPE xy
1           0.015       0.354      -0.083
2          -0.242      -0.053       0.026

Where the counter obviously continues to larger values. As you can see
the x-axis contains the atom number (same as the first column; the
counter), while the second column is plotted as the y-values. The
y-axis remains empty.
The .xyz file is created via gmx select to select multiple residue
groups, after which I am interested in the average velocity of the
selected groups. Is it possible that the three colums represent the
average velocity in each of the three directions (XYZ?)

Mark