[gmx-users] How to define cross-linking bonds

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 14 15:35:38 CET 2017

On 3/14/17 10:13 AM, Jon Mujika wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I am preparing a system made of polymer chains, which are cross-linked,
> that is, there are covalent bonds between residues of different chains. I
> have managed to built the structure, including the linking. To do that, I
> used the specbond.dat file, where I specified the geometrical criteria to
> consider a link covalent bond, replacing the corresponding residues by new
> ones (with the C atoms involved in the covalent bond deprotonated). This is
> analogous to define disulphur bridges in a protein.
>
> Once the new covalent bonds are identified and the protonation state of the
> C atoms updated, I guess I need to assign the bond parameters (force
> constant and r0 value) for these new linking bonds. How should I proceed to
> add these parameters to the topology file? I would really appreciate any
> help in this issue.

Bonded parameters can be added to ffbonded.itp or #included as a separate .itp
file in the topology created by pdb2gmx (since the only time it matters is when
you get to grompp).  If you have new types for a covalent bond, you will also
have new angles and dihedrals to add.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629