[gmx-users] Box size problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 16 02:55:19 CET 2017

On 3/15/17 3:09 PM, Davit Hakobyan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I try to run a simulation with protein-membrane system in charmm36 ff with
> Gromacs5.0.4 and the simulation runs without complain.The problem is in the unit
> cell size which seems to grow during a short 500 ps simulation from ~15 to ~28
> nm in Z direction although the system atoms remain confined in the~15 nm in Z
> direction.
>

> The GRO files before and after the 500 ps simulation can be downloaded from the
> following link: https://uni-muenster.sciebo.de/index.php/s/GBHjED2t1KzZZ2o

Your initial coordinates are badly fragmented, with regions of vacuum and
isolated water molecules.  You're going to get bizarre behavior as the system
collapses to try to close those voids.  This outcome likely isn't a function of
.mdp settings, but unphysical initial coordinates.

<snip>

Bonus comments!

> MDP Parameters (OLD)
> integrator          = md
> dt                  = 0.002
> nsteps              = 250000000
>
> nstxout             = 500000
> nstvout             = 500000
> nstlog              = 100000
> nstenergy           = 500000
> nstxtcout           = 500000
> xtc_grps            =
>
> energygrps          = Protein CHL1 POPC DOPC POPS Water_and_ions
> ;energygrp_table    =
> nstcalcenergy       = 500
> nstlist             = 10
> nstcomm             = 50
> comm_mode           = Linear
> comm-grps           =
> ns_type             = grid
> rlist               = 1.0
> rlistlong           = 1.4
> rvdw_switch         = 0.8
> vdwtype             = Switch

This is a potential switch, not a force switch, so lipid simulations done with
these settings will have artificial behavior.  Force switching is standard for
all CHARMM additive force field simulations, and is absolutely required for lipids.

> coulombtype         = pme
> rcoulomb            = 1.0
> rcoulomb_switch     = 0.0
> rvdw                = 1.2
> fourierspacing      = 0.15
> pme_order           = 6
> ;ewald_rtol         = 1e-6
> tcoupl              = V-rescale ;nose-hoover
> nhchainlength       = 1
> tc-grps             = Protein CHL1 POPC DOPC POPS Water_and_ions

Coupling all different types of molecules in the system to their own thermostats
is inappropriate.

-Justin

> tau_t               = 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1
> ref_t               = 293 293 293 293 293 293
> Pcoupl              = parrinello-rahman ;berendsen ;parrinello-rahman
> Pcoupltype          = semiisotropic
> tau_p               = 5.0
> compressibility     = 4.5e-5 4.5e-5
> ref_p               = 1.0 1.0
> pbc                 = xyz
> gen_vel             = no ;yes
> gen_temp            = 293
> optimize_fft        = yes
> constraints         = hbonds
> continuation        = no
> constraint_algorithm = Lincs
> lincs-order         = 4 ; 8 is needed for BD with large time-steps.
> lincs-iter          = 1 ; 1 is fine for normal simulations, but use 2 to
> conserve energy in NVE runs.
>
> In the new parameters I also tried to change the tcoupl from Nose-Hoover to
> V-rescale, but the outcome is the same, the box size becomes large.
>
> ProbablyI am missing something trivial.
> Does anybody have a clue what might be wrong?
>
> Thanks very much for any help.
> Davit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy