[gmx-users] Regarding extending simulations

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 10:01:08 CET 2017

Hi,

Your first run used gmx mdrun -deffnm, and like the error message says, the
checkpoint file knows what the output filenames were in that case. But your
second mdrun doesn't specify -deffnm, so mdrun doesn't know whether you
meant to append to the old files, or not provide that checkpoint file, or
not append, or what. If you want to append to the old files, because the
run is logically equivalent to a single long run (which is a judgement you
can make, and mdrun should not make for you), then like the message
suggests, use -deffnm the same way you did the first time. Now mdrun knows
what output files you meant it to use, and that matches the checkpoint file
you gave, and so mdrun knows how to implement the default approach of file
appending. Alternatively, you can turn appending off, as the message
suggests.

Mark