[gmx-users] Regarding Glycine structure

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Mar 26 16:13:25 CEST 2017

On 3/23/17 2:05 PM, Dilip H N wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a non zwitter ionic glycine molecule [NH2CH2COOH] in water, and in
> the first step if i do the energy minimization and then visualizes the
> mixture, the glycine is no more in its pure form as before instead it has
> been converted to its zwitter ionic form [NH3CH2COO], and some Hydrogen
> bonds with water are also broken. How can i solve these both issues..??

Glycine didn't convert between forms.  That's impossible; bonds can't break or
form in a molecular mechanical process.  The termini are exactly what you
assigned them to be.  If you want them to be something else, you have to assign
them as such with pdb2gmx.  Though you should note that NH2 and COOH can't
coincide at any real pH value.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629