[gmx-users] Help in a thermalization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 27 22:42:08 CEST 2017

On 3/27/17 4:12 PM, Graziele Bortolini wrote:
> When I tried to do a thermalization for a PSB molecule (it has 66 atoms),
> in vacuum, the molecule rotate around the center of mass. This's my .mdp
> file:
> -------------------
> cpp = /lib/cpp
> integrator = md
> dt = 0.001
> nsteps = 500000
> nstcomm = 1
> nstxout = 0
> nstvout = 0
> nstlog = 0
> nstenergy = 50
> nstxtcout = 50
> energygrps = PSB
> nstlist = 10
> ns_type = grid
> rlist = 0.4
> coulombtype = Cut-off
> optimize_fft = yes
> rcoulomb = 0.8
> vdwtype = shift
> rvdw = 0.8
> tcoupl = berendsen
> tc_grps = system
> ref_t = 300.0
> tau_t = 0.1
> pcoupl = berendsen
> ref_p = 1.000
> compressibility = 4.5e-5
> tau_p = 1.0
> pcoupltype = isotropic
> gen_vel = yes
> gen_temp = 300.0
> pbc = xyz
> -------------------
> So, I tried to put the "comm-mode = angular", it supposedly remove center
> of mass translation and rotation. But when I do it I receive the following
> message:
>
> "WARNING 1 :
>   Removing the rotation around the center of mass in a periodic system,
>   this can lead to artifacts. Only use this on a single (cluster of)
>   molecules. This cluster should not cross periodic boundaries."
>
> What I'm doing wrong?

You're not running in vacuo.  By using finite cutoffs and using PBC, you're
simulating a molecule in some sparsely populated pseudocrystalline state.  To
run in vacuo, set all cutoffs to zero (which means infinite), use no PBC, and
set comm-mode = angular.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629