[gmx-users] forcefield installation on GROMACS 5.1.4

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 28 14:00:27 CEST 2017

On 3/28/17 3:12 AM, Simon Kit Sang Chu wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you very much. I followed the same spirit and add forcefield.doc.
> However, it did not work until changing all ffPACE_1.5.rtp .ddb .....etc
> files into aminoacids.rpt .ddb ..... GROMACS seems to recognize only the
> name "aminoacids". Also, don't forget to change the ffPACE1.5.itp to
> *forcefield.itp* instead of aminoacids.itp.

That's not strictly true; the .rtp files can be named anything.  I don't know
why you encountered problems, but many force fields use different names.  The
naming scheme may require a match in base name between an .rtp and an .hdb file,
but there is flexibility (for instance, we use "merged.rtp" in our CHARMM36 port
because it's a lot of stuff in one file, not just protein residues).

-Justin

> Regards,
> Simon

>> On 3/27/17 7:44 AM, Simon Kit Sang Chu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Recently I am looking into PACE
>>> <https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/cgfolding/> for my system and
>>> installation of forcefield is required. The files located inside the
>>> forcefield directory is given by -
>>>
>>> aminoacids.rtp  cgWater.itp  ffPACE_1.3-c.tdb  ffPACE_1.3.hdb
>>>  ffPACE_1.3-n.tdb
>>> cg216water.gro  ffPACE_1.3.atp  ffPACE_1.3.ddb    ffPACE_1.3.itp
>>>  ffPACE_1.3.rtp
>>>
>>> Compared to the standard forcefields, such as CHARMM and AMBER, there is
>>> no
>>> .doc. I located these files in
>>> /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/PACE_1.3.ff.
>>>
>>> When I tried to implement the forcefield with pdb2gmx, I see no sign of
>>> PACE and option -ff returns error too.
>>>
>>> I am new to GROMACS. Would anyone suggest any solution or references that
>>> should look into?
>>>

>> You need a forcefield.doc file that has the force field name so that
>> pdb2gmx can find it.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/Support
>> /Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences