[gmx-users] dihedral restrains fail in free energy calculation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 28 14:04:15 CEST 2017

On 3/28/17 6:07 AM, Ahmet Yıldırım wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> I was trying to do the free energy calculation on GROMACS-2016.1 but I
> faced a problem. To apply intermolecular restraints I add the [
> intermolecular_interactions ] part at the end of complex topology file.
> First I turn off intermolecular interactions and then turn them on one by
> one. Intermolecular bond and angle restraints work together, but dihedral
> restraints fail when decoupling the ligand. That means every three
> restraints (bond, angle and dihedral) don't work together when ligand is
> decoupled from protein. The system gives lincs warning error in the NVT,
> NPT or md step for different ligands. The same systems work properly for
> the ligand bound state with the same intermolecular interactions. Could
> someone give me some pointers about
> why the dihedral restraints fail when decoupling the ligand?
>
> Some more details on simulation: I use sd integrator, AMBER99-ILDN
> force-field, tip3p water model, constraint on Hydrogen atoms, position
> restraint at NVT and NPT.
>
> The ID of atoms used for intermolecular_interactions are as follows. The
> backbone atoms of aminoacid that is the closest one to the ligand:
> 1793: C of the carboxyl group of amino acid
> 1778: C_alpha atom of amino acid
> 1776: N of amino acid
>
> The ID of heavy atoms of ligand:
> 3: O2
> 2: O1
> 1: S1
>
> Free energy control stuff used in the mdp files of the decoupled state is
> here:
> free-energy              = yes
> init-lambda              = 1
> delta-lambda             = 0
> sc-alpha                 = 0.3
> sc-power                 = 1
> sc-sigma                 = 0.25
> sc-coul                  = yes
> couple-moltype           = ligand
> couple-intramol          = no
> couple-lambda0           = vdw-q
> couple-lambda1           = none
> nstdhdl                  = 100
>
> [ intermolecular_interactions ] part in the complex topology identifies a
> suitable set of Boresch restraints. The last part of the complex.top is as
> follows:
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; Compound        #mols
> ligand               1
> protein             1
> SOL             4812
> NA                 30
> CL                 15
>
> [ intermolecular_interactions ]
> [ bonds ]
> ;    i     j  type     r0A     r1A     r2A    fcA    r0B     r1B     r2B
> fcB
>  1776     2 10     0.3198     0.3198    10.0000      0.000     0.3198
> 0.3198    10.0000   4184.000
>
> [ angle_restraints ]
> ;   ai    aj    ak    al  type    thA      fcA    multA  thB      fcB
> multB
>  1778  1776     2  1776          1   132.7383      0.000          1
> [...]

It's really easy to choose "bad" atoms for restraining.  Consider the points in
dx.doi.org/10.1021/ci300505n, and cited work by Boresch, Roux, etc. in
determining the proper restraints.  I have found that virtual sites constructed
in the middle of rings are very effective in accomplishing orientational
restraints, even in very complex systems.  They run without a hitch if chosen
judiciously.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629