[gmx-users] Replica Exchange for surface tension

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 28 19:21:27 CEST 2017

On 3/28/17 12:43 PM, gozde ergin wrote:
> I have a mixed system of SDS and cocobetaine on water surface.
> I estimated the surface tension of SDS on water surface and cocabetaine on surface tension separately and correctly (comparing with experimental results).
> However I could not estimate the correct surface tension for SDS-cocobetaine mix in even 150 ns simulation.
> Do you think replica exchange simulation would help me to estimate the correct surface tension of mixed system?
> Do you have any idea why I failed in estimating the mixed system surface tension?

If a physical model fails to produce known physical properties, the problem is
often the model itself.  I'd suspect the force field parameters first.  What is
the source of your parameters?

Replica exchange helps you get over large barriers to improve sampling, but I
doubt that's useful here in a mixture of small molecules.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore