[gmx-users] Format for predefined positions insert-molecules

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 29 18:55:52 CEST 2017

On 3/29/17 12:52 PM, Svetomir Hitov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been going through the documentation and mailing list for the last
> couple of days, but I cannot find anywhere, what the format for the
> predefined insertion trial positions should be. Insert-molecules should use

I'd start with the last paragraph of the help information:

"Alternatively, the molecules can be inserted only at positions defined in
positions.dat (-ip). That file should have 3 columns (x,y,z), that give the
displacements compared to the input molecule position (-ci). Hence, if that
file should contain the absolute positions, the molecule must be centered on
(0,0,0) before using gmx insert-molecules (e.g. from gmx editconf -center).
Comments in that file starting with # are ignored."

-Justin

> that file to place molecules inside the box in certain places. I have tried
> plain text file with several coordinates. Insert-molecules is not giving any
> error but yet it is inserting molecules randomly. I want to make it insert
> molecules just in one half of the box.
> Thank you in advance!

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy