[gmx-users] Dihedral parameters from QM and MM relaxed surface scans

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 23:14:00 CEST 2018

Hi,

Your two PES scans are over the same coordinates, and by construction you
are balancing the normal FF contributions against an intended-as-strong
restraint. The only thing that is different between your two sets of PE
calculation is the contribution of the restraint. If the normal FF was
parameterized for the species and configurations of interest, then you'd
observe that the unrestrained PES matched the restrained PES, ie that the
contributions from the restraint were negligible. Clearly that isn't the
case, so the only available conclusion is that the normal FF isn't suitable
for modelling this PES. Whether that is a useful conclusion about the
chances for quality observations of quantities that depend on the FES is
less clear.

Mark